What if I told you that you could make a delicious pie/cake with only two ingredients? And as if that wasn’t surprising enough, what if I told you those two ingredients were apples and oats? What??? Yes, I know, exactly my first reaction when I first discovered this recipe. It’s true, you can make a delicious and super healthy apple pie with only apples and oats. And guess what? I’m going to guide you through the process.
1. 5/6 medium ”Aromatic russet” apples (??). I’ve had a few problems figuring out what the english name for this variety of apples was. And I’m still not sure if that’s the correct one! As it turns out, this type of apple might now be sold in every country. Here in Portugal we call it the ”Reineta” apple.
2. 100/200g Oats
3. Regular apples. I usually use Fugi or Royal Gala. There’s no right amount. Just chop enough of them in slices so it fills the crust all the way to the top.
1. First, I advise you cover the cake pan with some baking paper, like I did in the picture above, (and then spread just a tiny bit of olive oil on it) just to make sure the pie doesn’t stick to it.
2. Chop the ”Aromatic Russet” (or whatever you call it) apples into a bowl like in the picture. However, I’d advise you not to chop them as small as I did because it gets harder to mash up them after.
3. Microwave the chopped apples until you can mash them up with a fork.
4. After mashing them up, add the oats and mix them with the apples.
5. Cover the cake pan with a thick layer of this mixture you just made.
1. (This couldn’t be more easy) Chop the regular apples in slices and fill the cake pan. Use a lot of apples (and when I say a lot I really do mean A LOT). Remember that the apples will shrink after you place the pie in the oven so it’s really important you fill the cake pan all the way to the top. If you think you’re putting way to many apples, believe me, you’re not. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top (totally opcional).
2. Put it in a preheated oven (set it as 180• to 200•) and let it cook for about 30 minutes to an hour. Only take it out of the oven when the crust is thick and crispy. Otherwise it will happen what happen to me the last time I did this recipe and when unmolding, the pie will completely fall apart.
And you’re done!! Yes, it’s that easy and unbelievably delicious and healthy! If you try it out, let me know your results!
Stay tuned for more posts